Thursday, May 08, 2014

More from Modern Pets!

I've previously talked about Secret Mission Records being one of the best new punk labels out there. I think it's high time I removed the "new" part and just said that S.M.R. is one the best punk labels out there, period! What blows me away about this label is that it manages to work with bands I already love and still exceed my expectations. The latest case in point is German dynamos Modern Pets. I've written about this band a couple times before, and I'm a huge fan. But their new single on S.M.R. blows away anything they've done to date! "B.I.Y.S." is your classic 45 RPM punk rock single - featuring an A-side smash hit and another great song on the flip. The title track is a hyperactive and insanely catchy blast of '77 pop/punk meets late '90s garage punk, with killer lead guitar work and a sing-along chorus that's guaranteed to have you pumping your fist. Talk about an anthem! If you don't know what "B.I.Y.S." stands for, you need to listen to more G.G. Allin.

Staying in that tuneful, ultra high energy vein, B-side cut "Sweet Frustration" is another jolt of pure awesomeness. These lads could have easily used this as an A-side for another record, but it's gotta be impossible to say no to a label on a secret mission. If these two songs are any indication of what's to come from Modern Pets, their best days are still ahead of them. And with mixing and mastering by Daniel Husayn at North London Bomb Factory, it's no wonder this release sounds so good! If you're already a Modern Pets fan, you're gonna go apeshit bananas for this single. And if you're still among the unconverted, well perhaps that's about to change!



-L.R.

https://www.facebook.com/modernpets
http://modernpets1.bandcamp.com/
http://secretmissionrecords.com/

No comments: